Humidifiers become essential in dry weather when the lack of moisture in the air can irritate your throat and nasal passage, triggering several allergies, and causing many respiratory issues. The sole purpose of all humidifiers is to add moisture into the air and to keep the humidity level of a room well balanced. Several kinds of humidifiers are in the market ranging from central humidifiers that regulate the humidity level of the whole house, to the portable ones. Portable humidifiers are further divided into several categories like warm mist humidifier, cool mist humidifiers, and ultrasonic humidifiers.
Some humidifiers use a filter to clean the water vapors before they are emitted into the air. The moisture is drawn up into the filter, and a fan causes the necessary evaporation. A filterless humidifier does not use filters and operates without them. Warm mist humidifiers do not need filters as the heat kills the virus and bacteria in water and they do not need extra additives.
Humidifiers with filter vs Humidifiers without filters
All kinds of particles like smoke, dust, or smoke can settle in the water of your humidifier. The filter in humidifier trap these elements and don’t allow them to enter in the vapors that are emitting in the air thus saving us from a lot of allergens. But these filters need to be constantly cleaned, and after a specific period, they need to be changed.
Humidifier manufacturers realized this inconvenience and developed humidifiers that do not need filters. These humidifiers use an electrostatic charge to remove the impurities from the water. Ultrasonic humidifiers that use the sound vibration to create the mist don’t use filters. Some larger humidifiers and evaporators offer permanent filtration trays that can be cleaned.
The humidifiers with filters use a fan for evaporating the water, so obviously they are noisier. While on the other hand, the filterless humidifiers are quieter as no use of the fan is involved. Changing and cleaning filters can be a nuisance, but with filterless humidifiers, you need to be more careful about the cleanliness of your humidifier.
For more in-depth details about filter vs no filter humidifiers you can check:
Advantages of a Filterless Humidifiers
Humidifiers with filters often produce a loud noise. The fans in these humidifiers can create some level of noise and can be irritating for some people. Especially if you are using the humidifier in a nursery, a quiet humidifier seems more appealing. Humidifiers without filter are quieter and no more waking up in the middle of the night with the loud noise.
Don’t have to buy a filter
The filter has a short span of life, and even though you keep cleaning them, there comes a time when you have to replace them unless you are alright with running a dirty filter. The humidifiers without filters are one-time investment, and you don’t have to buy filters from time to time.
The filterless humidifier uses the latest technology to use an electromagnetic charge to remove the impurities from the water. It prevents the growth of bacteria, virus, mold, or mildew in water. The water vapors coming out of humidifier are dispersed in the air that you are inhaling and the contaminated air can aggravate your allergies rather than comforting it.
The latest filter-free humidifiers have a variable setting to control the humidity level of the room. This way you can better monitor and control the humidity level of your room. More than required humidity can cause problems.
Improved health and skin benefits
The filterless humidifiers moist the air and keep it clean. The result is better health and skin benefits. You get comfortable with the right level of humidity and a better skin.
Disadvantages of a filterless humidifier
Need to be Cleaned more often
Filterless humidifiers need more regular cleaning. Although all kinds of humidifiers need maintenance and proper cleaning, the filterless humidifiers can deposit the mineral traces in the base and need regular cleaning.
Emits White Dust
Ultrasonic filterless humidifiers emit white dust in the air along with the mist. If you are using tap water to fill up the tank of the humidifier, then the mineral deposits in water are also dispersed with mist into the air. This dust settles down on the furniture or around the room. It can cause dust allergy and is not suitable for people with the dust allergy. However, filling up demineralized water in the tank is a solution for avoiding white dust.
If you are using filterless ultrasonic humidifiers, then they can be a bit expensive than the usual humidifiers with filters. However, these are a one-time investment, and you don’t have to buy a new filter from time to time.
Types of Filterless Humidifiers
Many types of humidifiers are available in the market that does not use filters. Some of them are as follows:
2. Central Humidifiers
3. Steam vaporizers
5. Ultrasonic Humidifiers
Central humidifiers control the humidity level of the whole house. As steam vaporizers use heat to boil water and bacteria or other pathogens cannot survive in boiling water, the steam vaporizers don’t need filters. Impellers are more child-friendly as they use the cool mist that helps babies or children suffering from congestion. Ultrasonic humidifiers use ultrasonic vibration to create the mist. Therefore, choosing a humidifier depends on your personal preference and budget.
Factors to Consider while Choosing a Filterless Humidifier
Many filterless humidifiers are available in the market, but there are certain things that you should consider while choosing a filterless humidifier for your room.
The size of your room should be considered while choosing a humidifier. A humidifier that is built for a large area would make a little room damp in the same way a smaller humidifier in a large room would be ineffective. While buying a humidifier always read the specifications which mention the area it is designed to humidify.
Easy to clean
Humidifiers need to be cleaned on a regular basis, and a filterless humidifier needs even more care. While choosing a humidifier, take good care to choose one which is easy to assemble and clean.
The more control a humidifier offers, the better it will be for you and your baby. You can adjust the moisture level and also the speed of the fan. Those with timer and auto-shut options offer more control and are more convenient.
Humidistat prevents your room to become over humid. It prevents humidifier to emit more than necessary moisture into the air. Humidifiers without humidistat may make your room damper. Investing in a hygrometer is also helpful as it allows you to keep an eye on the humidity level of your room.
Best Filterless Humidifiers
If you are looking for a filterless humidifier then perhaps we can help. Below we have listed both cool mist filterless humidifiers and warm mist filterless humidifiers along with their pros and cons.
Best Filterless Cool Mist Humidifiers
This Levoit’s cool mist ultrasonic humidifier has a capacity for 4-liter water which means it can work 20-30 hours continuously. It’s a three-in-one device that can work as a diffuser, humidifier, and a nightlight. Water is double-filtered using activated carbon and ceramic filters that help fight against bacteria and produce a fine mist that will revitalize your home.
1. Humidifier emits fine mist using quiet ultrasonic technology, thus producing no sound.
2. You can add your favorite essential oil in aroma box and get a relaxing aroma along with the humidity.
3. Comes with a built-in nightlight that gives a calming effect in your dark room at night.
4. Water is double filtered and gives improved air quality.
5. Its sleek design enhances the beauty of your room.
6. Its auto-shutoff system stops the humidifier automatically when the water gets below the required level.
1. It’s a bit pricey
2. Works better with distilled water as tap water can produce white dust.
- LARGE CAPACITY: Featuring a 4 liter(1 gallon) water tank allows for 20 to 30 hours of...
- WHISPER-QUIET: Ultrasonic air diffusion produces less than 36 dB for a quiet humidification...
Vicks Mini Filter Free Cool Mist Humidifier
Vicks’ small humidifier with half gallon tank is ideal for baby’s nursery or a small bedroom. It provides soothing mist for the temporary relief of cough or congestion. This ultra-quiet unit is filter free and required minimum maintenance.
1. Integrated scent pad heater allows you to make use of Vicks vapopads for giving relief to children and babies.
2. Auto shut-off when empty
3. Smaller size makes it easy to carry from room to room
4. Has Variable Humidity control for customized output
5. Requires less maintenance.
6. Works quietly without producing any noise.
1. May not be suitable for larger rooms.
2. You need to fill it with filtered water to avoid mineral deposits.
- VICKS FILTER-FREE COOL MIST HUMIDIFIER: This cool mist humidifier won't need replacement...
- VICKS HUMIDIFIERS FOR KIDS, ADULTS: This humidifier helps add cool moisture into the air. Many...
Rosewill Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
Rosewill’s ultrasonic humidifier is a filter-free humidifier that has a large capacity for water. Its 360-degree rotatable nozzle mist outlet allows you to control the direction of mist. It can effectively humidify a room up to 250 square feet.
1. The ultrasonic humidifier can cover a large area and is suitable for bigger rooms.
2. It works noiselessly
3. Provide nonstop humidity for a longer period with its 5 liters of the capacity water tank.
4. It provides variable mist control.
5. Creates an ambiance with night-light while you are sleeping
6. Auto shut-off when empty.
7. Filterless design requires low maintenance.
1. You need to fill up the tank with distilled water.
2. May emit white dust if you use tap water.
3. Would be an overkill for small rooms.
- Tank capacity: 5L (1. 32 Gallon) with filter free design for effortless maintenance
- 360 degree adjustable dual nozzle mist outlet to direct the mist wherever you want
Best Warm Filterless Humidifiers
This Honeywell’s filter-free humidifier sends warm moisture in the air that is really soothing especially in winters. With its large tank opening, it is easier to clean. With its auto shutoff system, the humidifier shuts off when the water reaches its minimum level and also illuminates a light that indicates that it needs a refill. Built for medium size rooms and can run 24 hours nonstop.
1. Comes with a medicine cup that you can fill in with liquid medicine and inhale easily.
2. Good for medium size rooms.
3. Auto shutoff when empty.
4. A light indicates that it needs a refill.
5. Its larger tank opening makes it easy to clean from inside.
1. Risk of burns or scalds.
2. May not be very effective for a larger area.
- Quiet, filter free operation w/ 2 moisture output settings, medicine cup
- Auto Shut-Off when water drops below minimum levels
Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier
This warm mist humidifier is perfect for bedrooms, baby’s nursery, children bedrooms, or anywhere you want to add some moisture. With its 1 gallon tank, it can give nonstop moisture for a long period. With its heating process, it produces 95% bacteria-free mist.
1. With full capacity can run for a longer period nonstop.
2. Produces bacteria-free mist.
3. Works quietly.
4. Comes with a medicine cup for liquid inhalants.
5. The portable device is easy to carry from room to room.
6. Filter-free design requires less maintenance.
7. Comes with 3 years of warranty.
1. Risk of burns or scalds.
- VICKS WARM MIST HUMIDIFIER: This warm mist humidifier, for bedrooms, baby nurseries, kids...
- VICKS HUMIDIFIERS FOR KIDS, ADULTS: Humidifier diffuses 95% bacteria free mist into the air....
Humidifiers are essential, and if you are deterred by the repeated maintenance of filters, then some filter-free options work equally well and have many benefits. Buying a humidifier is an investment in good health and a comfortable environment. You can choose the one that suits more your budget, needs, and preference.