Last Updated on
Why would you need a humidifier for a baby? In case you live in cold areas, or those with dry climates, you may be familiar with humidifiers. Dry air can cause many problems for your kid ranging from dry nose and skin to strenuous breathing, especially during winters. Relying on a warm mist humidifier to maintain optimal humidity levels in the air would be great.
Babies are vulnerable to cold which makes warm humidifiers popular with parents. By producing warm mist into the air, humidifiers help loosen thick and sticky mucus in your baby’s respiratory tract and nasal passages. Thus, optimal moisture can make the difference between staying awake all night with your sick baby, and getting the much-needed sleep for both of you.
Warm mist humidifiers work by heating water to steam which then rises naturally as a warm mist into the air. Also, they work by heating water to specified temperatures below the boiling point and another process like ultrasonic vibration diffuses the mist into the air. People who prefer warm mist appliances believe that these type humidifiers make the air less chilly. However, this not an observable temperature difference but rather a subjective feeling.
Types of warm steam humidifiers
1. Steam vaporizers. They humidify via warm mist. Using a heating element, they heat water until it turns to vapor. This vapor is then diffused into the air subsequently increasing the relative humidity in the air.
2. Ultrasonic warm mist humidifier. Ultrasonic products have grown in popularity recently than ever before. They are very quiet and efficient and also come in a cool-mist version. They disperse mist through ultrasonic vibration.
How warm mist humidifier helps babies
Maintain optimal humidity levels for babies
Humidity helps prevent dry skin and dry nose. These are conditions that can cause great discomfort for the baby.
Warm-up indoor air
A slight increase in room temperatures can be vital for babies, especially during cold seasons. Apart from increasing relative humidity, warm mist humidifiers help make indoor air less chilly.
It helps babies have productive coughs
When a kid has a ratty chest, it is good to have a productive cough to reduce pain and also remove phlegm. An unproductive dry cough may cause a lot of chest pain to the kid. Moisture from warm mist humidifiers help loosen mucus and as a result, remove the sticky sputum from the chest.
They are used as steam medications for babies
Using medical cups, you can add medicinal inhalants which helps with respiratory and ease cold-flu symptoms. Warm mist humidifiers help ease cold symptoms such as coughing, sore throat, and sneezing.
What to look for in a humidifier for babies
The silent appliance is good it will give you baby uninterrupted sleep. Ultrasonic humidifiers are known to emit little noise which makes them ideal for babies. When considering noise levels of a humidifier, it is important to think of fun noise. Some people think that sound waves produced by funs soothe babies and help them sleep.
This is the duration in which a humidifier can go before it runs out of water. It is directly proportional to tank capacity and rate of mist output. An appliance with a large capacity will go for many hours before the water runs low. Also, the ability to control the rate of mist output implies that you can also control the run time as well. Long durations for a humidifier are important for babies who need to be covered throughout the night.
Capacity will define the run time of a humidifier. Large capacities are very important when one wants to use a humidifier over extended periods.
Humidifiers meant for babies should not raise concerns when the appliance is placed close to the baby’s cradle. The effectiveness of a humidifier would be meaningless if the appliance is not safe for kids and everyone in the house.
Ease of cleaning
As a parent, you would need every minute of your time for your kid, house chores or personal care due to overwhelming tasks. For this reason, it is good to look for an appliance that will not consume much of your time cleaning and maintaining.
Best warm mist humidifiers for babies
Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier
Vicks is an ideal humidifier for baby nurseries or kid’s bedroom. With its 1 gallon tank, you can have medicated vapors running for 24 hours. The appliance has a unique design that features a plastic build material with the reservoir having a transparent one. The mist released is 95% bacteria-free.
- Has a run time of 24 hours enough to cover the entire night.
- Uses ultrasonic vibration technology to diffuse mist.
- It has a tank capacity of one gallon.
- Rated power is 360 watts
- It comes with a humidity monitor that displays humidity and temperature levels. This helps one to know of humidity fluctuations and adjust accordingly.
- Produces 95 % bacteria-free steam.
- Medicine cups enables users to add liquid inhalants such as Vicks VapoSteam.
- One can use tap water for Vicks warm mist humidifier.
- The fact that they have a heating element makes them considered less safe for kids.
Honeywell Filter-Free Warm Moisture Humidifier
This warm mist humidifier that comes in the black color is super quiet for those who love tranquillity. Its soothing visible warm mist helps your baby through the harsh winter air. It maintains humidity levels between 40% and 60% and comes with the ability to control two moisture outputs. This filter-free appliance offers an effective solution to get rid of the effects of dry air by increasing essential moisture to optimal levels.
- Comes with an illuminated power switch
- Has a manual knob control which is pretty easy to use.
- Has a capacity of a gallon.
- Honeywell has a run time of up to 24 hours after refill.
- The humidifier is filter-free and is designed with 2 moisture output settings.
- Ultra-quiet which keeps rooms calm for a peaceful sleep. This makes it one of the most silent warm mist humidifier in the market.
- Slightly makes the air warmer. This helps make the air less chilly during cold seasons.
- Apart from being ideal for baby rooms and nurseries, the humidifier is also perfect for adults.
- One can add vapor inhalants which helps enrich the air with medicinal vapor.
- The heating element will always make it considered less safe for kids. If this appliance is the available option, parental supervision is imperative.
The design of this humidifier is large and appears complex. It has one of the longest run time of 36 hours thanks to its large capacity of 6 liters. This appliance is ideal for kids’ rooms and entire home use. It comes in both warm mist and cool mist versions taking care of different preferences. Levoit has great features that automatically monitors humidity and displays it. If levels of moisture are low, it automatically diffuses the mist to adjust to optimal humidity levels. Also, it has a touch control panel that can be substituted by the use of remote control. It also comes with three aroma and absorption pads pre-installed.
- 6 liters tank capacity
- Has a touch control panel which makes settings more convenience
- The humidifier has a run time of 36 hours thanks to its large capacity
- The maximum mist output is 500ml per hour.
- Has customizable humidity
- Long duration per refill. This can be attributed to its large tank which has a capacity of 6 liters.
- Enhanced control. The appliance has a touchpad control which can be substituted by the use of remote control.
- Smart auto mode. You don’t have to keep on checking on the humidity levels. Levoit monitors the levels and automatically diffuses mist when humidity levels run low.
- Its ABS plastic material makes it less breakable.
- Its wide opening makes it easy to clean and refill.
- Maybe cumbersome to carry around and also occupies relatively large space.
Tao Tronics 5.5 liters warm and cool mist humidifier
This appliance from Tao Tronics makes a great visual statement with its design and dominant black color. Unlike many humidifiers, Tao Tronic is designed with three temperatures levels. Mist temperatures can reach 60 degrees which great, especially during winters. You can personalize its settings using mist levels, timer, humidity preset and sleep mode. It produces warm visible mist with two outlet nozzles. During the night, you can turn off the sound and light for more comfort.
- The minimum mist output rate is 100 ml per hour with a maximum of 300 ml per hour.
- 5.5 liters capacity
- Has a large area coverage of 200-450 square feet.
- Has a run time of 45 hours
- It comes with three different temperature levels.
- It is possible to deactivate light and sound at night in sleep mode.
- Its wide mouth and detachable tank make it easy to clean and refill.
- Its large capacity gives it a long run time of up to 45 hours.
- It cannot be used to disperse essential oils.
- Where parent supervision is unavailable it can be unsafe for kids.