Whole house humidifiers are evaporative units normally attached to air ducts. When the humidifier is started, the evaporating vapor is blown through your aid ducts diffusing it evenly in all the rooms in the house. These type of humidifiers monitors the indoor humidity levels by measuring the moisture content of the air in the return duct and displays the readings on a control panel. Depending on your flexibility and availability, you can either set your whole house humidifier to operate manually or automatically. Manual operations mean you have to be there and set your desired humidity levels yourself. Whole house humidifiers are designed as a solution for humidifying multiple rooms in one building which greatly reduces associated costs.
How does the whole house humidifier help?
Humidifying the air in multiple occupied rooms can be a challenge if you are using normal humidifiers. Whole-house humidifiers, however, can save such a situation. Using a distribution tray to diffuse vapor through an air duct, whole-house humidifiers ensure that every room gets the required levels of humidity.
When your indoor moisture and comfort is perfect, you may not think of the help and benefits that your whole house humidifier provides. The appliance moistens the air to give optimal levels of humidity. As a result, the indoor comfort is improved, mildew and mold growth prevented, preventing dry skin and congestion, maintaining interior paint and also preventing floors from being very dry.
About 86% of airborne virus and bacteria particles are rendered powerless by increasing relative humidity levels to 43% and above. This is a very important health benefit. Also, having optimal humidity levels helps treat common flu and associated allergic symptoms by soothing sour throat, sinus effects, congestion, itchiness, and irritated nose, throat, and eyes.
Maintenance is a very important thing that will always determine the life of your appliance. Furthermore, good maintenance enhances the experience and performance of an appliance. Maintaining a whole house humidifier will include various things ranging from how you clean it, shut off among other things.
In case you are using a steam humidifier, you should always switch off the control button and do not turn off the water. Steam humidifiers flash periodically which is good for rinsing the tank. In case water is off, water retained will stagnate leading to the growth of mold.
Unlike normal humidifiers which you can check on your own, whole-house humidifiers can be a bit complex and may require the help of a technician. High-voltage heating elements should be checked especially before winter and cleaned to the life span of the unit.
In case you are using a bypass humidifier, you should turn off the central humidistat or the control button. Check if the humidistat is controlled by a thermostat. Close the damper to prevent the humidifier from working against the air conditioner whose purpose is to remove moisture in the air. Turn off the water supply. You can wait till fall to replace the filter or replace them if immediately if need be. This I after confirming that all heating elements are working properly. When the damper is closed, the water supply is also closed which prevents mold growth when the unit is not in use especially during warm summers.
Always use the manufactures recommended guidelines when replacing water panels and filters.
- It can be used together with an existing heating and cooling system (thermostat) which makes it possible to control humidity levels using a thermostat.
- It lowers the cost of humidifying multiple rooms in a house. If humidification was to done using normal humidifiers, it implies buying one for every room that requires humidification. With the whole house humidifier, there is no need of all that as it does regulate humidity for the entire house.
- Makes control easy as the unit is controlled from a single point.
- Maintaining them can come at an extra cost.
- Uneven humidity levels. Diffuse of vapor uses the rule of moving particles from a high concentration area to another of low concentration. Areas far from the source unit may not receive the same humidity levels as the source point.
Best Whole House Humidifiers
Aprilaire 600M Whole House Humidifier
Aprilaire design features an internally build bypass damper which makes it easy for you since you have fewer parts and components to install. Its bypass damper is clearly labeled for both winter and summer settings enabling you to set the unit for the entire season. This humidifier pips water into the distribution tray which is on top of the humidifier. The water is evenly distributed across the floor width of the tray and through the unit’s outlets. Flowing employing gravity, the water passes over the panel evaporator where natural evaporation takes place and the vapor is diffused through the air ducts to the various rooms in the house.
- Area coverage is 4000 square feet which can be increased to 4200 square feet but the fun will be required.
- Has a capacity of 17 gallons
- It features a single sensor control.
- Weight 8.7 pounds
- Has a manual output and control
- It comes with digital control indicator lights. The red indicates the unit is not working, yellow implies that the water panel requires replacement while the green light means that everything is working perfectly.
- Takes a year to replace the water panel.
- The system controls and outputs are not automated.
Aircare 831000 Whole House Evaporative Humidifier
Aircare is an evaporative humidifier that will give you comfort by regulating your indoor humidity to the desired levels. Maintaining desired humidity levels help treat flu and its symptoms like congestion, sinus effects, irritated nose, eyes among others. The humidifier is equipped with an automatic humidistat and digital controls which includes water refill indicators. It also has the Trapmax Filter Technology which ensures that your unit is safe.
- Has an area coverage of 2700 square feet.
- Has a run time of 70 hours
- Tank capacity is 6 gallons
- Input voltage is 120 volts
- Automatic shut off when desired humidity levels are reached and when the unit is empty.
- It comes with water refill indicators.
- It has a long run time which can last up to three days.
- Automatically shuts itself when the unit is empty.
- Its weight of 14 pounds is heavy compared to other whole house humidifiers.
Aircare EP9 800 Whole House Evaporative Humidifier
An interesting thing about this unit is that it comes with 9 fun speeds allowing you to select your ideal performance levels. Humidity levels are displayed and can be maintained with the use of digital accuracy.
- Has an area coverage of 2400 square feet
- Operational voltage is 120
- Auto shut-off enabled
- It comes with a digital humidistat.
- Helps reduce static electricity
- Don’t have to worry that water levels will run low as the unit will automatically turn itself off. Also, auto shut-off works when the desired levels of humidity are reached.
- Control and operation are automated enhancing its experience.
- The addition 9 fun speeds help you to select the ideal performance levels.
- It has a massive weight of 27 pounds.
Aprilaire 800 Whole House Steam Humidifier
No products found.
This unit would be ideal for very hot places due to its ability of high output per unit time. The unit uses electrode technology which is a good thing since you don’t have to worry about impurities in your water. These impurities promote the transfer of electricity in the water. Aprilaire Model 800 humidifier features a fully automatic control though you can install in manual if need be.
- Uses electrode technology to heat water.
- The reservoir tank has a capacity of 6 gallons.
- Has an area coverage of up to 6200 square feet.
- No filtration of water required which reduces operational costs.
- Easy installation as no filters is required.
- Can operate with a wide range of water hardness of between 3 and 36 grains
- Its high output makes it a perfect choice for very hot places with low humidity levels.
- It is not fun powered.
- Its price tag may bear some weight.
No products found.
Aircare Trim Whole House Evaporative Humidifier
This is a big unit of humidification which is evident from its large capacity of 5.4 gallons. The high output enables this unit to disperse 12 gallons per day which makes it good for hot places. Its cleaning is greatly simplified because of its removable power pack and the super-wick trap which traps mineral deposits. This unit is also a décor in the house with its oak finish outlook that makes it look magnificent.
- Has a massive area coverage of 3700 feet.
- has a High output of 12 gallons a day.
- It has a capacity of 5.4 gallons.
- Has a large area coverage of up to 3700 square feet.
- When desired levels of humidity are reached or when the unit is empty it automatically shuts itself.
- Fast cleaning since the unit comes with a removable power pack.
- It helps control and maintains the best humidity levels automatically for better sleep and comfort.
- Energy consumption is high due to the high output associated with this unit.