As early as the 1970s, NASA highlighted the ability of indoor plants to purify the air and clean up water. Since then, a great deal of scientific research has confirmed this amazing faculty. Better yet, most of these studies have proved that certain species have beneficial effects both on our health and our psychological balance.
Indoor plants and Their Positive Effects
Our interiors, even the coziest, are often invaded by multiple sources of hidden pollution. For example: bad odors, electromagnetic waves and toxic substances released by our appliances. We are surrounded by multiple small nuisances that end up damaging our well-being. Even so, some simple actions can effectively fight against this degradation of our quality of life. Certain categories of plants thus have particularly healthy and effective properties.
The electromagnetic waves issue is more and more crucial for many people suffering from insomnia, headaches and other uncomfortable little symptoms. Despite their effect being always visible immediately, succulents or plants like cacti absorb some of these bad waves, from microwaves, computers and mobile devices.
Air Quality Enhancement
Some plants have a well-known effect on air quality: the depolluting plants. These plants turn carbon dioxide into purified water vapor and release oxygen. For instance, Sansevieria is known for its effect on bad odors, such as the smell of tobacco, and is a popular add-on for lobbies. Likewise, Azaleas do a great job with smoke odor absorption. Other plants boast soothing and relaxing virtues. The most famous is undoubtedly aloe vera, which is recommended as a cure for stress and nervousness. Also, an Aloe vera, installed in an office or bedroom, improves sleep.
Decorative and Mood Boosting Effects
In addition to the physical benefits of plants, one can praise the psychological properties. Many studies have highlighted, without a doubt, the benefits of color and fragrance stimulation. And for good reason, plants are key points when it comes to interior decorating ideas. In particular, the cacti are very trendy. Easy to maintain, aesthetic and original, they are popular with both men and women.
Furthermore, Feng-Shui philosophy and plants share a distinct page. The arrangement of the plants, according to the round or rather square leaves, to the south or to the north of the room, according to the principles of this ancient art, makes it possible to exploit the best virtues. Note that certain plants have incredible input in this domain. To name a few: the Lotus, a symbol of wisdom, Narcissus as a token for good luck and fortune for the coming year, the Peony, a synonym to prosperity and abundance.
Decorative, depolluting, de-stressing, plants need special care in order to keep providing us with these perks. Especially in winter, houseplants suffer just as much as we from the air dryness and excessive indoor heating. Most indoor plants love the hot and humid tropical climate so when facing dry air, their leaves turn yellow and fall. Eventually, the plant dies.
Best Ways to Nourish House Plants in Winter and How Can A Humidifier for House Plants Help
In winter, houseplants do not tolerate well the dry air and the low humidity levels caused by central heating systems. To ensure the best conditions for their development we have gathered some useful tips.
Recreate Tropical Conditions
To clarify, the idea is to recreate a micro-climate adapted to your plants. Install each plant in a pot that provides a 5cm diameter of wiggle space. Fill this gap with moss or peat. Use, preferably, non-calcareous water to spray the foliage, moderately, morning and evening. This environment preserves a tropical habitat for your plants. However, avoid spraying plants with downy or very thin foliage. Stagnant water on the leaves facilitates fungal attacks.
Natural and quite decorative, the clay pebbles look great in terrariums and provide extra functionality too. You can also install your plants on a tray covered with a layer of clay balls that you water constantly. In short, by evaporating the water, these pebbles provide an ideal atmosphere for the well-being of your plants.
Humidifier for House Plants
Clearly, using a humidifier is always a good method to provide the necessary humidity levels indoors. Your plants and you will enjoy it. It is pretty uncomfortable and unhealthy to live in a too dry environment and that is why such a gadget can save you from a lot of trouble. Check out below some of the best humidifiers for house plants.
Best Humidifier For House Plants Models
|50-Hour Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifiers for Bedroom (6L) - Quiet,...||52,855 Reviews||$92.95 $57.39||Check It|
|HAUEA 5.5L Mist Humidifier,Top-Filling Nightlight Design, Ultrasonic...||319 Reviews||Check It|
|LEVOIT Humidifiers for Bedroom Large Room Home, 6L Warm and Cool Mist...||23,320 Reviews||$99.99 $89.96||Check It|
Customers love this Homasy humidifier for the ease of use and carefree maintenance. It is a sleek, stylish and functional model. The decent water tank lasts for up to 30 hours on the low mist mode. The exclusive essential oil nozzle is a nice bonus.
- Top-fill design for frustration-free filling and cleaning
- 4.5L (1.2 Gallon) Large Capacity: Works for all night
- 28dB quiet operation: enjoy an undisturbed sleep
- 3-level adjustable mist output
- Doubles as an oil diffuser
- Auto shut-off
- It’s easy to fill (top) and easy to clean
- Quiet and runs between 20-30 hours
- Compatible with essential oils
- Not the best essential oil diffuser
No products found.
This popular humidifier promises generous amounts of mist and works with the simple tap water, no expensive filters needed. It does a great job with spaces up to 500 sq. ft and lasts 50 straight hours on a full tank! Furthermore, the essential oil tray allows the users to customize their experience.
- 6L (1.6 Gal) Large capacity water tank
- Essential oil tray for aromatherapy
- High mist output up to 9 oz (270ml) per hour
- Powerful mist output of up to 270 ml/hr
- Built-in essential oil tray
- 6L (1.6 GAL) tank lasts up to 50 hours before refilling
- A bit tricky to clean, when you want to do a thorough job
- Frustrating Refill Design
This is a promising new release and the generous tank and 360-degree rotating nozzle recommend it as one of the best humidifiers for house plants available. On a full tank, the humidifier delivers 15 – 30 hours of continuous operation, depending on the mist mode. Despite such a generous capacity, the noise level stays at 32 dB. Also, the model has a nightlight that you can conveniently turn off if you choose so.
- 4.5L top-fill water tank
- Works Up to 30 Hours
- 3 Adjustable mist levels: high/medium/low mist
- Auto shut-off
- Recommended for large rooms of up to 10-30 m²/ 107-322 ft²
- 360-degree rotating nozzle
- Big tank, easy to fill(top)
- 360-degree rotating nozzle to disperse mist evenly
- Simple, elegant appearance, fits most spaces
- The nightlight is a bright blue LED light, but you can turn it off
- On-off button beeps loud
When I started this post I intended to focus on the classical humidifier models for indoor plants but I came across this stackable, multi-function wonder and I had to mention it to my readers. The LeGrow self-watering indoor planter pleases the eye and provides extensive utility for the plant lovers.
If effortless gardening is your target, LeGrow is the solution. It quickly spruces up any indoor space from home to office and also throws in the deal a warming light, hydrating humidifier, and even a device-charging hub. The integrated humidifier adds moisture to the air and also acts as a water storage device for convenience. Small but powerful, this humidifier can release more than 30 ml of water per hour for up to 6 hours. It automatically shuts off when water runs out and it resumes functionality when refilled.
- 6-Pot Tower Planter, self-watering pots with ventilation
- Charging hub with 4 USB ports
- It is not only a humidifier it is a stackable ensemble, self-watering, indoor planter
- The clean and pretty design
- Not a Humidifier
- Could be considered overpriced
With a space-saving design, this TaoTronics humidifier fits your needs right. The decent 1,8L tank is easy to fill and ensures mist up to 16 hours on low speed. Also, a dial knob conveniently lets the user set the preferred mist output.
- Quieter operation, under 32dB
- 360° Humidification
- Auto shut off
- Easy to fill tank
- Space-saving design
- Ideal for medium to small spaces
- Easy to clean and use- just one dial to turn on/off and control the mist
- Requires daily refills
- Surprisingly noisy for such a little fellow
No products found.
This large and sturdy humidifier is ready to work for your benefit up to 40 hours without break. The Homasy ultrasonic humidifier is equipped with a 5 L(1. 32Gallon) capacity tank and delivers 350ml max mist output, covering an area up to 550 sq. ft.
- 5L Large Water Tank
- Precise Dial Mist Knob
- Easy to Clean and Refill
- Auto to Shut Off
- 40H Working Time
- Up to 350ml/h Mist Output
- 200-420 sq ft Applicable Area
- Activated-charcoal filter for a healthier and more efficient experience
- Easy to clean
- Dial for more accurate humidity level control
- Tricky to refill
No products found.
This humidifier aims to deliver fresher mist in your home and what makes it stand out is a 4-layers filter, with 2 layers of silver ion filter core. While most humidifiers have a 1 layer filter, the Hauea takes it up a notch. The filter is detachable and washable so you are likely to save up money in the long run. Bonus points: remote control, an LED display that allows you to set your favorite humidity level and an essential oil tray that facilitates the use of aromatherapy.
- Built-in humidity sensor
- 7 Color mood light
- Essential oil tray
- Dual water shortage sensors: magnetic ring induction and atomizer induction ensure that the humidifier shuts off automatically once running out of water
- 1/4/8H Timer Function
- Sensitive LED Touch Screen & Remote Control
- 360° Rotating Nozzles
- 20~40H Long Working Time Depending on the 3 Modes
- 107~322sq ft Applicable Area
- Remote control
- Separate tray to add in essential oils
- 4 stage efficient filter system to keep impurities and bacteria under control
- The humidity sensor might be unreliable according to some reviews
Enjoy a completely customizable experience with this Levoit warm and cool ultrasonic humidifier. Keep the humidity levels in the healthy range by opting for the Auto Mode. In addition, the touch control display and the remote control make any adjustments a breeze.
- Generous 1,5 gal / 6 L tank allows a mist output of 500 mL/hr, ideal for spaces as large as 753 ft2 / 70 m2
- Warm and cold mist settings for distinct benefits year-round
- Built-in sensor gauges humidity levels and instantly takes care of adjustments for you.
- Aroma Box
- Both warm and cool mist
- Easy to use
- User-friendly display and remote control
- tricky refill
- Short-range remote control
This model comes with a 360°degree rotating nozzle that spreads the humidity evenly across the room and ensures a higher comfort rate. Undoubtedly, the large capacity, 4 Liters tank that guarantees up to 60 hours of continuous use will hang heavily in the final decision.
- Adjustable mist settings with 300ml/hr maximum mist output
- Dustproof sponge lowers the noise level to 30dB for quiet humidification
- Auto shut-off when running out of water
- Wide opening up to 92mm for simple cleaning and filling
- Large capacity, easy to set, fill, use and clean
- Quiet operation
- refilling is a bit of a clumsy job
No products found.
In conclusion, there are plenty of offers if you are looking for the best humidifier for house plants. Whether your main concern is around design, capacity or extra functionality and safety, you are likely to find the perfect model if you give it a little time to study the recommendations.