Snoring can be a great nuisance, not only for you but your bed-partner too. According to a survey, nearly 40 millions adult suffer from snoring in America alone. The loud music at night can be quite embarrassing if you are on early stages of getting to know your partner. Snoring can even worsen especially in winters when the heating of our houses makes the air hot and dry. It can cause many problems ranging from relationship problems to the lack of sleep at night to even more complicated health issues. Let’s dig in the topic a bit more and find out some more facts about snoring.
Why do we snore?
Snoring like any sound is caused by the vibration. As we breathe, the air passes through our throat to the lungs from mouth or nose. If the passage is obstructed the air can vibrate the tissues in the throat causing it to produce sound. When we sleep the tissues that make up our throat, tongue, and palate all sag, narrowing the passage of air. Scientifically speaking snoring is caused by the turbulent passage of air and abnormal airflow can cause the vibration in the uvula and soft palate above in throat. This vibration can produce the annoying sound of snoring. They type and intensity of sound depends on the movement of tissues. Not only is snoring unpleasant to hear, but it is also uncomfortable to do.
What causes snoring?
As we just mentioned, snoring is caused by some obstruction in the nasal passage. It can be caused by irregular breathing, a stuffy nose or something as simple as a dry room. Some of the causes of snoring are:
• Stuffy nose: have you been sick lately with a stuffy nose? Some people only snore in allergies or sinus infection. Deformity of nose structure can also cause snoring.
• Tongue or throat muscle tone:
when we sleep our muscles relax, causing the muscles in the tongue and throat to collapse and fall back into airways. Aging can further relax these muscles.
• Bulky throat tissues:
overweight people have more fat tissues in the throat.
• Long soft palate or uvula:
long uvula or soft palate can also narrow down the passage of air.
Why a dry room cause snoring problems
Snoring can get worse in winters when the heating systems can dry the air. Dry air does not cause snoring but it can make the throat and nasal membranes dry. It can lead to swelling which narrows the airways. This condition can restrict the natural breathing patterns and cause the tissues to vibrate. In a dry environment, allergies can also be a cause of producing more mucous in the nasal passage. Humidifiers can be used to add some moisture in the air creating better conditions for breathing.
What does a humidifier can do to help with snoring?
On a very basic level humidifier emits water vapor into the air and increase the humidity level of the room. If your snoring is caused by the dry air then you would notice a clear change within days. The humidifier does not cure the snoring but it can make the conditions easy for you. Dry air is full of dust and allergens. Humidifiers can add moisture to the environment of the room and thus keep the allergens and other dust particles stuck to the ground. It also works as a filter to take out the allergens from the air.
How do a humidifier work and different types
Different kinds of humidifiers are used to humidify the rooms. The purpose of all is to add moisture into the air. Some types of humidifiers are:
These work as a central heating and cooling systems and are designed to humidify the whole house
These humidifiers produce a cool mist with ultrasonic vibration.
Cool-mist humidifiers contain a pan of water, an absorbent pad, and a fan. The pad is soaked up in water and when the air blows over the moist pad and sends humid air into the room.
The warm-mist humidifier has a heating element that produces a warm breeze and humidifies the room.
The right way to use a humidifier
Humidifiers keep the air well moist. A central humidifier keeps the house well humidified but the portable one allows you to add moisture to the air where you need it the most. You can place the humidifier next to your bed to receive the maximum benefits. It is important to keep checking the humidity level which depends on the season.
Generally humidity level is higher in summers and low in winters. Ideally, the humidity in your house should be between 30 to 50 percent. Like low humidity, high humidity level can also cause problems like condensation on walls and floors that can trigger the growth of bacteria, dust mites and molds. The best way to measure the humidity in your room or house is by a hygrometer. Its an instrument like a thermometer that can measure the amount of moisture in the air.
Cleanliness of humidifier is very important as we all know the damp and dirty reservoirs in humidifiers can breed bacteria and mold. They can be problematic for people with asthma and allergies. Even in healthy people, dirty humidifiers can trigger allergies and flu-like symptoms. To clean the humidifiers follow the instructions given by the manufacturers. Few recommendations for cleaning your humidifiers are:
- Use distilled or demineralized water in humidifiers as mineral water can create deposits in your humidifiers that can grow bacteria and mold.
- Change the water of humidifier often to resist the growth of bacteria. Empty the tank and dry it, and refill the fresh water daily if possible.
- If your humidifier has a filter change it regularly to maintain the quality of your humidifier.
- Above all follow the instructions of manufacturers. They must have mentioned in their manual how to ensure the cleanliness of your humidifier.
Best Humidifier for Snoring
Basically, all humidifiers do the same thing humidify a room, what needs to be taken into consideration when you choose the best one to help you with the snoring problem is:
- The budget, if you are on a budget then you can’t afford by the most expensive one. A special article with the best humidifier under $50 can help you choose the best one for you.
- Quiet humidifier – giving the fact that the humidifier needs to stay in your bedroom to help you with the snoring you need one which is quiet. Here is an article with the quietest humidifiers
- Portability – in case you are mostly on the road then you need a portable humidifier that you can take it with you and have it mounted fast. This is an article with the best portable humidifiers
- Be sure that the humidifier assures the optimal level of humidity. In case you have a large bedroom then you need a powerful one, as for the optimal level of humidity you can check: What is the Optimal Humidity Level for a Bedroom?
For the ones that don’t have time to go throw all of the articles to choose the best humidifier for them to help with the snoring, I will put below the top one from every category.
|URPOWER 2nd Version Essential Oil Diffuser Aroma Essential Oil Cool...||76,380 Reviews||$15.99||Check It|
|Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier - Premium...||114,926 Reviews||$49.99 $39.99||Check It|
|Top Fill Humidifier with Essential Oil Diffuser 4L for Home, Baby,...||36,308 Reviews||Check It|
|raydrop Cool Mist Humidifiers for Home Babies, 1.70 L Quiet and Small...||14,169 Reviews||$31.99 $25.99||Check It|
|LEVOIT 4L Humidifiers for Bedroom Large Room & Essential Oil Diffuser,...||26,501 Reviews||Check It|
The upgraded URPOWER essential oil diffuser is the ideal device to use when you want to enjoy the perfect, comfortable ambient in small bedrooms, hotel rooms, tabletops and even workplace cubicles. It has a decent, 100 ml water tank and works up to 6 hours on a single water filling. Plus, it comes with one of the most affordable prices on the market. It produces a generous amount of mist that efficiently fights dryness and stuffiness in the air.
Furthermore, it features an option to change 7 different LED colors and make the room more appealing. Very handy, it provides control over the mist mechanism offering continuous and intermittent mode. The package includes a measuring cup for convenient water filling. Lastly, you won’t sense it’s operation because it is whisper-quiet. It has 4.5 stars reviews ( thousands of them)!
- The URPOWER Ultrasonic Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser is upgraded with a new design that produces even more mist compared to the old model.
- It is an ideal way to add moist, comforting air to small bedrooms, hotel rooms, and any tabletop.
- Colour changing led
- Auto Shut Off
- Hard to open
- Small tank
- Some find the aroma diffusing quite modest in scale
Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
Everything you need to increase humidity in your house is included in the cool mist humidifier. This user-friendly appliance features a sleek design that is easily assembled and disassembled for refills. This is done by simply lifting the reservoir of the base. After that remove the reservoir cap, refill and place the filled reservoir back to the base. The tank is large enough with a capacity of 1.5 liters. Even when the levels ran low, you don’t have to worry as the appliance automatically shuts down.
- Night light. This appliance produces a beautiful glow that you can turn on or off as you like.
- Large capacity of 1500 ml.
- The maximum run time for this appliance is 16 hours.
- Rated power is 120v for a power source.
- Has room coverage of 250 square feet
- The moisture output rate is 150ml per hour
- Has a 360-degree mist nozzle.
- You can easily direct the flow of produced mist from where it is not required. This can be great if you want to use it in a room that has other electronics, pets, and even fabrics.
- Automatic shut-off. When water levels are low, the humidifier will automatically shut itself.
- The tank is fragile and can easily break if knocked down.
GENIANI Top Fill Cool Mist Humidifier
An 4L large ultrasonic cool mist humidifier that can help you humidify up to 20 sq. ft. It has a top fill and it’s filter-free. The water tank can be removed for easy access and cleaning. It comes with an intelligent humidity sensor that can help you keep the desired humidity level. It is quiet and it has 38dB noise level.
- 4L (1.05 gallons) water tank that lasts up to 18 hour
- 2-in-1 Humidifier & Diffuser;
- 4 mist settings;
- Large space coverage up to 220 sq. ft.;
- LED night light with a turn-off option;
- Auto shut-off feature;
- Big Capacity
- It is quiet
- Humidifier & Diffuser;
- Shuts down automatically if there’s no water in the tank
- Hard water leaves white dust
raydrop Cool Mist Humidifiers for Babies , 1.70 L Quiet and Small Ultrasonic Humidifier
raydrop is a medium size ultrasonic cool mist humidifier with a 1.7l 0.45Gallon capacity. It is proving up to 9 hours of running and has a auto shut-off when water is run out and tank lifted up. It is quiet and has only 36dB. It is coming with a price point under 40$.
- Water Tank: 1. 7 L
- Mist Output: 240 ml/h (Max)
- Power: 18 W
- Smart LED indicator
- noise: 36dB
- auto shut off
- Quiet and slim
- Low to high dial knob
- Low capacity
This Levoit’s cool mist ultrasonic humidifier has a capacity for 4-liter water which means it can work 20-30 hours continuously. It’s a three-in-one device that can work as a diffuser, humidifier, and nightlight. Water is double-filtered using activated carbon and ceramic filters that help fight against bacteria and produce a fine mist that will revitalize your home.
- Cleaning your humidifier is a breeze with the patented easy to clean & refill design.
- Achieve a deeper, more rejuvenating sleep with soothing aromatherapy and a better night’s sleep by improving humidity levels in the room.
- Hear safe and effective ultrasonic technology with the Levoit Advanced Ultrasonic Technology.
- Feel confident knowing that your humidifier is backed by 12 month warranty, ensuring reliability and safety for you and your family.
1. Humidifier emits fine mist using quiet ultrasonic technology, thus producing no sound.
2. You can add your favorite essential oil in the aroma box and get a relaxing aroma along with the humidity.
3. Comes with a built-in nightlight that gives a calming effect in your darkroom at night.
4. Water is double filtered and gives improved air quality.
5. Its sleek design enhances the beauty of your room.
6. Its auto-shutoff system stops the humidifier automatically when the water gets below the required level.
1. It’s a bit pricey
2. Works better with distilled water as tap water can produce white dust.
Other benefits of using humidifiers
Humidifiers not only help in snoring, but it has other benefits too.
When the air is too dry our sinuses don’t drain and function properly. Adding moisture into the air can relieve sinusitis and is good for sinus health especially if you are regularly suffering from congestion.
Whether you are suffering from allergy, cold, or asthma, a humidifier can help you heal faster. For people with allergies, there are special humidifiers that purify the air.
The humidifier keeps your skin well moist. In winters the dry air can dehydrate your skin causing flaky lips and dry hands. Humidifiers keep your skin supple relieving the dryness.
In the end buying a humidifier can be a wise decision in many ways. It may help you get rid of snoring and improve the quality of your life. Using humidifiers can benefit in more than one way. It can give you relief from allergies and sinusitis and also keeps your skin fresh and well hydrated. While humidifiers are great for so many reasons, they need to be cleaned regularly. For best results make sure to keep your humidifier clean and follow the instructions of its manufacturers.