Last Updated on
They say that the voice is the most difficult instrument to play. While with strings or keys instruments talent and hard practice suffice, when it comes to vocal talent there is also a specific human fragility that makes us sensitive to environmental factors. A vocalist adopts an entire lifestyle that imposes a series of restrictions and rules that you can not afford to violate.
How to Protect Your Voice When Your Career Depends on On It?
Most people would think about singers when it comes to the need to protect one’s voice. But there are also speakers, motivational trainers, teachers, secretaries, interpreters, sales representatives, reporters, coaches, fitness instructors, trial attorneys for whom the voice is essential to manage to do the job. Of course, for a singer, it is an absolute disaster to experience any shortcomings in this area and they would stop of nothing to avoid this awful risk.
Are there any ways to protect your voice? Actually, there are a few tricks that could do a nice job.
The vocal cords can not work if your throat is dry, so make sure you have enough liquid before you start playing, preferably at room temperature. A warm, not hot, tea with honey and lemon is perfect, but acidic drinks, too cold or too hot, and alcohol should be avoided at all costs. Perhaps a beer or two can help you get rid of stage fright, but it certainly does not help you sing better because the alcohol dehydrates.
You can easily find them on the internet and they are pretty helpful. Without warm up, not only you are not able to reach all the notes in your voice range, but your voice will sound worse than it normally does. As athletes who warm up before the race, you need to do these exercises to prevent injuries.
Avoid unnecessary efforts
Do not scream when it is not necessary, do not go into loud clubs where you have to talk loudly to make yourself heard, do not change your voice to make funny sounds. All this damages the voice and adds on over time, the end result being the irreparable damage of the vocal cords.
Learn to breathe properly!
The right breathing technique is key to a fair and effortless singing. There are many more or less complicated breathing techniques but the common element is that you always have to use the diaphragm to breathe, not the chest. This way, the lungs fill up to the maximum capacity and can push the air with maximum efficiency.
A good singer must be in good physical condition – not only to look good on stage but also to use his voice. Singing is an organic process and it’s much easier to get good results when you’re healthy and in top shape.
Try to reduce the number of cigarettes smoked daily, and avoid smoking before singing – cigarette smoke dries your throat and affects your voice. Because it affects the capacity of the lungs, smoking makes it more difficult to support the long notes, so if you want to make a career from singing, it’s best to let go these vices completely.
A humidifier helps keep your airways and throat hydrated.
Inhaling warm steam a few times a day helps restore humidity in the neck and accelerates healing if you feel any discomfort.
For a more efficient experience, use a humidifier with essential oil function and add four to six drops of essential antiseptic and anti-inflammatory oils, such as lavender oil, sandalwood, or chamomile.
Best Humidifier for Singers
This premium humidifying unit comes with a generous 1.5L water tank that provides whisper-quiet operation up to 16 hours.
- Ultrasonic cool mist technology
- Up to 16 hours of continuous operation
- High and low-speed settings
- 1.5-liter tank
- Optional night light
- Auto shut-off when the water level is low
This Honeywell humidifier uses a patented Ultra-Violet light technology to kill up to 99.9% of bacteria, mold, fungus, and virus in the unit’s water. The result is virtually free of germs mist that improves your breathing comfort, sleeping, nasal congestion and dry skin issues.
- 1-gallon capacity water tank runs up to 24 hours on low setting
- Easy to fill, carry around and clean
- No white dust residue
- UV technology kills 99.9% of bacteria in the water
- Evaporative technology blows moisture off a wicking filter, helping it evaporative into the air quickly
This Levoit model is a top choice when it comes to humidifiers that can provide a highly customizable experience. It has a sensitive touch control panel and a remote control for extra convenience. Whisper quiet and equipped with a generous 6L water tank, it provides the soothing mist for 20 to 36 hours depending on the selected mode.
- Advanced PTC heating system kills most bacteria in the water and brings you a pure-mist humidification
- Large-capacity 6L water tank allows for 20 to 36 hours of continuous use
- Built-in humidity sensor can tell you real-time humidity level on the LED screen and let you customize it.
- Aroma box for essential oil therapy
- Whisper-quiet: less than 36 dB
If you are looking for a humidifier for the whole house, the AIRCARE EP9800 is recommended for spaces up to 2,400 square feet. A digital humidistat automatically maintains the desired humidity level. A digital display shows the humidity level or fan speed.
- Pedestal-style humidifier for a whole house, up to 2,400 square feet
- Assembled product weight: 27 pounds.
- Digital humidistat
- Digital display
- 9 fan speeds
- Automatically shuts off when it reaches the desired humidity level or when running out of water
An eye catchy design combined with a patented air multiplier technology generates long-range mist projection to distribute hydrated, hygienic air evenly throughout the room. This product is certified asthma and allergy friendly by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
- Intelligent climate control Measures temperature and humidity, adjusting automatically to create a comfortable environment.
- Remote control: Precise airflow settings. Magnetized to store neatly on the machine.
- Sleep timer and up to 18 hours of continuous use.
- Air Multiplier™ humidifier technology: Draws in surrounding air, creating a powerful stream of uninterrupted, humidified airflow.
- Hygienic, even humidification year-round – with high-velocity air to cool you in summer.
An extremely quiet humidifier with an elegant look and modern functionality. A remote control provides a user-friendly experience.
- 3 levels of mist
- Humidity sensor
- Built-in renewable filter and activated carbon purification