Humidity level is very important to maintain overall health. Too much humidity can cause muggy feeling, may even cause the growth of mold and other bacteria. Low humidity level can cause dry skin and other respiratory diseases. Dry air also contains more virus, bacteria, dust particles, and other allergens that trigger several diseases. Dryness in the air can even complicate the existing health conditions. Bronchitis is one of the most common problems caused by dry weather.
What is Bronchitis?
Bronchitis is a common health condition which causes inflammation in the lining of bronchial tubes. Bronchial tubes are the airways that carry air to and from the lungs. The symptoms of bronchitis are cough, wheezing, shortness of breath, and low fever. People who have Bronchitis often cough up thick, discolored mucus. There are two types of bronchitis, acute and chronic.
Acute bronchitis is a more common health issue which often develops from cold or other respiratory infections. The infection is treated within a weak or ten days without any lasting effects. The cough may last longer, and you can spend weeks coughing even after the infection is gone.
Chronic bronchitis is a more serious condition in which the lining of bronchial tubes is constantly inflamed, often due to smoking. If you are having repeated bouts of bronchitis, then you are probably suffering from chronic bronchitis.
Bronchitis is caused by a virus, bacteria, or other dust particles in the air that create irritation in the bronchial tubes. Acute bronchitis readily goes away without any treatment if a virus causes it. Doctors may prescribe antibiotics if it is a bacterial infection. However, if you are suffering from chronic bronchitis, then you may need to get the medical treatment for relieving bronchitis.
Whether you are suffering from acute, or chronic bronchitis, cough can be a nuisance which can even worsen in dry weather. Especially in the night, dryness in the air can trigger the non-stop bouts of a cough, disturbing your sleep. You can manage this painful condition with over the counter syrups, taking extra fluids and above all using humidifiers to balance the humidity level of your room that may help you feel better.
What does a humidifier do for Bronchitis?
Humidifiers are designed to add moisture into the air. It maintains the humidity level of the room and keeps the air moist. Both cool mist and warm mist humidifiers are used for this purpose.
Humidifiers lubricate the nasal passage and throat and thus make breathing easy and comfortable. The moisture in air heals a sore throat and decrease swelling. A humidifier may not treat bronchitis, but it can certainly make living conditions better for you. The moisture in the air keeps the allergens and other dust particles low to the ground. The moist air soothes the bronchial tubes and releases the buildup of mucus.
What type of humidifiers are good for Bronchitis
Many types of humidifiers are in the market these days. The purpose of all is same, to add the moisture into the air. They may use different methods to increase the humidity of a room.
Cool mist humidifiers
Cool mist humidifiers work best in summer weather when the dust particles, bacteria, and virus survive more in the air because of the lack of moisture. Most of the cool mist humidifiers have built-in filters that clear the room of air from different allergens.
Warm mist humidifiers
Warm mist humidifiers heat the water with electricity and steam is released into the air. The steam not only keeps the atmosphere of room warm and comfortable for a cough but also kills the bacteria and virus in the air.
Technology has taken the humidifiers to the next level. It uses a metal diaphragm to produce the ultrasonic vibration that releases the moisture into the air. However, these humidifiers can spread white dust into the room which can be another cause for patients with a dust allergy.
All types of humidifiers are effective for maintaining the humidity level of the room. You can choose the one that suits your budget and need.
Best Humidifiers for Bronchitis
|URPOWER Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Humidifier, 700ml Large...||6,148 Reviews||$28.99||Check It|
|Everlasting Comfort Cool Mist Humidifier for Bedroom (6L) - Filterless...||27,388 Reviews||$72.95 $52.95||Check It|
|LEVOIT Humidifiers for Large Room Bedroom (6L), Warm and Cool Mist...||12,990 Reviews||$89.99||Check It|
|Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier - Premium...||54,504 Reviews||$39.99||Check It|
|Hupro Humidifier for Bedroom Top Fill 6L for Large Room Warm and Cool...||4,355 Reviews||$99.98||Check It|
URPOWER Square Aromatherapy
Not only that will help you humidify your room but also it can have essential oils to refresh the air. The design is nice and it has also 7 LEDs. Also, the is very quiet so it will not disturb you during sleep.
- Combines the water vapor mist of a humidifier with the healing properties of essential oils for a powerful combination that works to relieve respiratory infections such as bronchitis
- Rotating LED mood lights with 7 different colors that can rotate, be set to one specific color wit dim or bright adjustment, or turned off altogether
- Extremely quiet
- 700ml capacity and can run for 20 hours
- Shutoff safety feature that automatically turns the device off when out of water
- 4 timing options—1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, or ON (constant stream)
- The ejected fumes disperse only a short range in a room leaving a bit of the moisture from the mist on the table and floor.
Everlasting Comfort Cool Mist Humidifier
This is a large (6 liters) ultrasonic, filterless air humidifier. It’s made of plastic materials, with a dimension of 11*7*13 inches.
- It has a capacity of 6 liters
- It’s designed with a separate essential oil tray
- It is filterless
- It has a flexible mist output
- It automatically shuts off when the water level is low
- It has an operation sound of 30db and a two year warranty
- It has an essential oil tray to allow seamless diffusion of aromatherapy fragrance
- It has a very buoyant tank that won’t need constant refill
- It has a wide area coverage
- It has a 2 years replacement policy which is pretty good
- It’s easy to use and clean
- It is filterless. While this could help save extra cost, it can also expose users to impurities from an impure water.
Levoit Warm and Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
LEVOIT humidifier offers two types of mist: warm and cool mist. Gone are the days of dry skin, congestion, and allergies. LEVOIT gives you relief from all your winter woes. It’s perfect for soothing a cough and dry nose, and can be used year-round. With its built-in sensor that automatically adjusts the mist level to maintain a comfortable humidity, you can set it and forget it. It even comes with an app for your smart phone so you can control your humidifier from wherever you are!
LV600HH is designed for large space, you can stop worrying about the air quality in your large room. With a mist output of up to 500 mL/hr, you can easily handle spaces up to 753 ft² / 70 m². The large 1. 5 gal / 6 L capacity allows for 60 hours of continuous use with low mist level
- 6L / 1.59 Gallon
- Cool & Warm Mis
- Up to 500 ml/h
- 753 ft² / 70 m²
- Essential oil box
- Smart Sensor
- Customized Humidity
- If you want a top model for your household this is worth considering: multiple features, generous size and remote control option make it a versatile choice
- Choose between both cool mist and warm mist
- Refilling the reservoir is a bit of a hassle
Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
Everything you need to increase humidity in your house is included in the cool mist humidifier. This user-friendly appliance features a sleek design that is easily assembled and disassembled for refills. This is done by simply lifting the reservoir of the base. After that remove the reservoir cap, refill and place the filled reservoir back to the base. The tank is large enough with a capacity of 1.5 liters. Even when the levels ran low, you don’t have to worry as the appliance automatically shuts down.
- Night light. This appliance produces a beautiful glow that you can turn on or off as you like.
- Large capacity of 1500 ml.
- The maximum run time for this appliance is 16 hours.
- Rated power is 120v for a power source.
- Has room coverage of 250 square feet
- The moisture output rate is 150ml per hour
- Has a 360-degree mist nozzle.
- You can easily direct the flow of produced mist from where it is not required. This can be great if you want to use it in a room that has other electronics, pets, and even fabrics.
- Automatic shut-off. When water levels are low, the humidifier will automatically shut itself.
- The tank is fragile and can easily break if knocked down.
Hupro Humidifier offers both off both worlds like every humidifier in this article. This humidifiers can keep the humidity levels between 30% and 70% automatically. It is ultra quiet with less then 30db and will not interfere with your sleep. This humidifier is perfect for the ones that suffers from dry skin and other conditions. Also it is good for pets as will help them go over easily.
- Features a 6L water tank for large capacity;
- Generates superfine mist by 2.4 billion vіbratіons per minute;
- Works in rooms up to 500 square feet;
- Lasts up to 40 hours between refills;
- Offers adjustable cool and warm mist settings;
- Works at near silence frequency;
- Produces 300 million cleansing ions per minute.
- Comprehensive coverage up to 500 square feet;
- Lasts up to 40 hours between refills;
- Adjustable cool and warm mist setting
- Works at near silence frequency
- Produces 300 million cleansing ions per minute
- 1 year warranty
How to Use a Humidifier
A humidifier works by releasing moisture into the air. Humidifiers come in different sizes and models. Central units are used to control the humidity level of the whole house. Controlling the humidity level of the whole house seems a good idea as you are not going to be enclosed in one room and a healthy atmosphere of the house has a direct impact on the health of your family. But taking care of these units can be time taking, and you need to keep changing its filters. Small portable Humidifiers are not only cost effective but easier to manage. You can easily move them from room to room wherever you need it the most.
Placing humidifiers in the bedroom can help you sleep better. The dry air at night can cause non-stop cough which can be very disturbing and painful for patients of bronchitis and other respiratory diseases.
Some Tips for Using Humidifiers Safely
The humidifier is a useful device, but its proper maintenance is essential. If used carelessly, it is rather a threat to the health and safety of your family.
Humidifiers work by heating or vaporizing water, so all of them have water tanks that need to be cleaned regularly. Especially the cool mist humidifiers may develop bacteria, fungus, and mildew into the water. The use of contaminated water can emit these allergens into the air you are inhaling, causing many severe infections and allergies. A portable humidifier should be emptied, wiped dry and refilled daily. Every third day all parts of humidifiers should be cleaned with a disinfectant to remove film or other deposits. Using distilled or filtered water in humidifier prevents mineral deposits from forming into the water tanks or other parts of humidifiers. It can also reduce the risk of microorganism and minerals to be dispersed into the room.
Another important factor to consider is monitoring the humidity level of the room. Just like lack of moisture in the air can trigger a cough or other respiratory problems, an excess of humidity also cause trouble for the patients. Too much humidity not only cause the atmosphere of room damp and uncomfortable, but it can develop bacteria and other allergens. Therefore a balance in humidity level is essential. You can use a hygrometer to monitor the humidity level of a room.
No doubt humidifiers are blessing for people suffering from bronchitis, asthma and other allergies. It can reduce a cough and makes breathing easy. They can sleep more comfortably with the added moisture into the air. But humidifiers requires proper cleaning on a regular basis that takes time and energy, and if used carelessly, they can cause more harm than good in the long run.