Humidity level is very important to maintain overall health. Too much humidity can cause muggy feeling, may even cause the growth of mold and other bacteria. Low humidity level can cause dry skin and other respiratory diseases. Dry air also contains more virus, bacteria, dust particles, and other allergens that trigger several diseases. Dryness in the air can even complicate the existing health conditions. Bronchitis is one of the most common problems caused by dry weather.
What is Bronchitis?
Bronchitis is a common health condition which causes inflammation in the lining of bronchial tubes. Bronchial tubes are the airways that carry air to and from the lungs. The symptoms of bronchitis are cough, wheezing, shortness of breath, and low fever. People who have Bronchitis often cough up thick, discolored mucus. There are two types of bronchitis, acute and chronic.
Acute bronchitis is a more common health issue which often develops from cold or other respiratory infections. The infection is treated within a weak or ten days without any lasting effects. The cough may last longer, and you can spend weeks coughing even after the infection is gone.
Chronic bronchitis is a more serious condition in which the lining of bronchial tubes is constantly inflamed, often due to smoking. If you are having repeated bouts of bronchitis, then you are probably suffering from chronic bronchitis.
Bronchitis is caused by a virus, bacteria, or other dust particles in the air that create irritation in the bronchial tubes. Acute bronchitis readily goes away without any treatment if a virus causes it. Doctors may prescribe antibiotics if it is a bacterial infection. However, if you are suffering from chronic bronchitis, then you may need to get the medical treatment for relieving bronchitis.
Whether you are suffering from acute, or chronic bronchitis, cough can be a nuisance which can even worsen in dry weather. Especially in the night, dryness in the air can trigger the non-stop bouts of a cough, disturbing your sleep. You can manage this painful condition with over the counter syrups, taking extra fluids and above all using humidifiers to balance the humidity level of your room that may help you feel better.
What does a humidifier do for Bronchitis?
Humidifiers are designed to add moisture into the air. It maintains the humidity level of the room and keeps the air moist. Both cool mist and warm mist humidifiers are used for this purpose.
Humidifiers lubricate the nasal passage and throat and thus make breathing easy and comfortable. The moisture in air heals a sore throat and decrease swelling. A humidifier may not treat bronchitis, but it can certainly make living conditions better for you. The moisture in the air keeps the allergens and other dust particles low to the ground. The moist air soothes the bronchial tubes and releases the buildup of mucus.
What type of humidifiers are good for Bronchitis
Many types of humidifiers are in the market these days. The purpose of all is same, to add the moisture into the air. They may use different methods to increase the humidity of a room.
Cool mist humidifiers
Cool mist humidifiers work best in summer weather when the dust particles, bacteria, and virus survive more in the air because of the lack of moisture. Most of the cool mist humidifiers have built-in filters that clear the room of air from different allergens.
Warm mist humidifiers
Warm mist humidifiers heat the water with electricity and steam is released into the air. The steam not only keeps the atmosphere of room warm and comfortable for a cough but also kills the bacteria and virus in the air.
Technology has taken the humidifiers to the next level. It uses a metal diaphragm to produce the ultrasonic vibration that releases the moisture into the air. However, these humidifiers can spread white dust into the room which can be another cause for patients with a dust allergy.
All types of humidifiers are effective for maintaining the humidity level of the room. You can choose the one that suits your budget and need.
Best Humidifiers for Bronchitis
Below are some of the best humidifiers that you can use for your bronchitis, they are also helping with dry skin, dry eyes, asthma, pneumonia, laryngitis etc. You will benefit in other areas also.
JZK Diffuser, Humidifier
This is a small portable humidifier with a lifetime guaranty. It will help you with all the problems during the night like cough, dry skin, dry eyes, asthma, pneumonia, laryngitis, and other infections involving your lungs. It is easy to fill and has 4 stars reviews.
- Helps you breathe comfortably by emitting a stream of fresh water mist
- Flexible charging options into a AC/DC outlet or computer using a USB cable and adapter
- Lifetime guarantee with a replacement if anything goes wrong with it
- No questions asked return policy
- Releases a consistent stream of fresh water vapor
- Provides relief from dry sinuses, cracked lips, bloody noses, and dry skin
- Portable and compact in size
- Built with durability
- 3 modes to choose from- mist and light, mist only, and light only
- Easy to clean in a few minutes
- Extremely quiet
- Fast customer service
- The LED light creates a meditative and calming feel, and even helps boost concentration levels
- No auto shut-off feature
- Cord is rather short (3 foot cord )
- REFRESHES: Good stream of water mist freshens the air to ensure your ability to breathe...
- ADAPTABLE: Versatile plug in choices with USB Cable & Adapter will provide you flexible...
URPOWER Square Aromatherapy
Not only that will help you humidify your room but also it can have essential oils to refresh the air. The design is nice and it has also 7 LEDs. Also, the is very quiet so it will not disturb you during sleep.
- Combines the water vapor mist of a humidifier with the healing properties of essential oils for a powerful combination that works to relieve respiratory infections such as bronchitis
- Rotating LED mood lights with 7 different colors that can rotate, be set to one specific color wit dim or bright adjustment, or turned off altogether
- Extremely quiet
- 700ml capacity and can run for 20 hours
- Shutoff safety feature that automatically turns the device off when out of water
- 4 timing options—1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, or ON (constant stream)
- The ejected fumes disperse only a short range in a room leaving a bit of the moisture from the mist on the table and floor.
- Whisper-Quiet Ultrasonic Operation Adopted advanced ultrasonic technology, this essential oil...
- Auto Shut-Off function Gives you peace of mind when using the diffuser, as when it is detected...
TaoTronics Ultrasonic Humidifier
It has a 360°Rotatable Mist Outlets that will spread mist everywhere, the tank has 3.5L. It has an extra fine ceramic filter filters out water impurity, harmful bacteria and bad odor at molecular level, leaving you with a clean and pure water vapor.
- 360°Rotatable Mist Outlets
- Large 3.5 L / 0.92 gal. water tank means you get up to 10 hours of continuous mist without refilling, ideal for home and office use.
- Quiet and healthy, TaoTronics ultrasonic humidifier silently infuses your room with clean moisturized air, so you can enjoy a clean, crisp and odorless air around you
- Extra Fine Ceramic Filter
- the water container is not flat on top so it can be hard to fill
- You can’t add essential oils
- Quiet and healthy - TaoTronics Ultrasonic humidifier silently infuses your room with clean...
- Double 360° rotatable mist outlets - output mist in two directions simultaneously, maximum...
URPOWER Ultrasonic Humidifier
The URPOWER is a compact, small-sized humidifier that doesn’t over-complicate things, it has an 5 Litres water tank uou do not need to wake up in the midnight to add water. The humidifier emits cool water vapor into the air to put moisture back into the air to help with dry skin, chapped lips, bronchitis, sinus problems, nose bleeds, etc.
- Large capacity 5L water tank can provide a cool water vapor all night long
- Two adjustable modes (high or low mist) to control the amount of mist emitted
- Whisper-quiet ultrasonic cool mist technology lets you sleep soundly without disturbance
- Automatic shutoff function if water runs empty to prevent overheating or short-circuiting
- Easy to operate—only one power button to control the device makes it extremely straightforward to use
- Works for up to 17 hours
- Can’t add essential oils to this humidifier
- Most expensive option on this list
- Larger Capacity: With 5 Litres water tank which can emit a cool water vapor into the air for...
- Perfect Design: Matte white & black body design makes it to be a perfect choice in any places.
How to Use a Humidifier
A humidifier works by releasing moisture into the air. Humidifiers come in different sizes and models. Central units are used to control the humidity level of the whole house. Controlling the humidity level of the whole house seems a good idea as you are not going to be enclosed in one room and a healthy atmosphere of the house has a direct impact on the health of your family. But taking care of these units can be time taking, and you need to keep changing its filters. Small portable Humidifiers are not only cost effective but easier to manage. You can easily move them from room to room wherever you need it the most.
Placing humidifiers in the bedroom can help you sleep better. The dry air at night can cause non-stop cough which can be very disturbing and painful for patients of bronchitis and other respiratory diseases.
Some Tips for Using Humidifiers Safely
The humidifier is a useful device, but its proper maintenance is essential. If used carelessly, it is rather a threat to the health and safety of your family.
Humidifiers work by heating or vaporizing water, so all of them have water tanks that need to be cleaned regularly. Especially the cool mist humidifiers may develop bacteria, fungus, and mildew into the water. The use of contaminated water can emit these allergens into the air you are inhaling, causing many severe infections and allergies. A portable humidifier should be emptied, wiped dry and refilled daily. Every third day all parts of humidifiers should be cleaned with a disinfectant to remove film or other deposits. Using distilled or filtered water in humidifier prevents mineral deposits from forming into the water tanks or other parts of humidifiers. It can also reduce the risk of microorganism and minerals to be dispersed into the room.
Another important factor to consider is monitoring the humidity level of the room. Just like lack of moisture in the air can trigger a cough or other respiratory problems, an excess of humidity also cause trouble for the patients. Too much humidity not only cause the atmosphere of room damp and uncomfortable, but it can develop bacteria and other allergens. Therefore a balance in humidity level is essential. You can use a hygrometer to monitor the humidity level of a room.
No doubt humidifiers are blessing for people suffering from bronchitis, asthma and other allergies. It can reduce a cough and makes breathing easy. They can sleep more comfortably with the added moisture into the air. But humidifiers requires proper cleaning on a regular basis that takes time and energy, and if used carelessly, they can cause more harm than good in the long run.