It is good to have humidifiers at any time of the year. Their importance though is much realized during winter and other cold months. During such times, humidifiers are imperative when you want to increase humidity levels in the air, especially for your kid.
One of the most common types of humidifiers is the cool mist. They produce cool mist which is intended to increase the relative humidity in the air. They normally use rotating disks or ultrasonic vibrations to disperse the cool mist. They are the best to use in a house where there kids. One of the main reason is safety. Since they don’t have a heating element, there is no likelihood of burns and other associated hazards which can result from a humidifier with a heating element.
To make it clear, the best cool mist humidifiers for babies are also those which are for adults. Some, however, come with additional features good for kids. These features include quite modes and fun shapes. Some humidifiers are primarily meant for baby nurseries.
Types of cool mist humidifiers
Various types of humidifiers can be classified as cool mist humidifiers. They include.
They are one of the most common and fall under cool mist humidifiers. Impellers normally have a rotating disk which sends water through a diffuser. The diffuser, in turn, breaks the droplets to form a cool mist that is dispersed into the air. They, impellers, comes at a great price and are safe for children which makes many people prefer them. They should, however, be cleaned after every use
These types of appliances are also classified as cool mist humidifiers. Although they come in a warm mist version, their original design is cool mist which produces cool vapor through ultrasonic vibration. The good thing about them is that you do not have to worry about filter replacement. They are kid-friendly and prices will vary with size.
How cool mist humidifier helps babies
They help with the baby’s respiratory organs
Baby’s lungs are very sensitive organs. Dry air may irritate the baby’s respiratory tract and nose. Using a cool-mist humidifier can greatly help alleviate stuffy nose by making the nose wet and reducing the chances of crust formation inside the nose.
Protection against dry skin
Baby’s skin is quickly affected by dry air and can result in red patches. Humidifiers help provide much-needed moisture to protect the baby’s skin against dry air.
It helps babies have productive coughs
When a kid has a ratty chest, it is good to have a productive cough to reduce pain and also remove phlegm. An unproductive dry cough may cause a lot of chest pain to the kid. Moisture from cool mist humidifiers help loosen mucus and as a result, remove the sticky sputum from the chest.
Helps protect against sinuses and sore throat
Since babies are vulnerable to congestion, they mostly fall prey to infections which are rampant during cold seasons. Cool mist humidifier will provide essential moisture to help loosen mucus and provide optimal breathing conditions for your baby. As a result, this helps keep at bay sinus effects and soar throat.
Snoring can be an irritating problem especially if a baby has a cold. Most people might not know that dry air is one cause of snoring. When moisture in the air reduces the nose becomes congested. This, in turn, blocks airflow and the baby is forced to breathe through the mouth which makes them snore. The best remedy would be to increase the relative humidity which subsequently reduces snoring.
What to look for in a humidifier for babies
When you go shopping for a humidifier for babies, some factors are worth considering. These factors probably would go a long way influencing your buying decision. They include;
Ease to clean. Sometimes time is a very important factor for parents with young kids. Cleaning a humidifier and maintaining it should not take forever. When making a buying decision, choose accordingly and consider that which will not take a great deal of your time cleaning and maintaining.
Noise. For a baby, you will need an appliance that will not interfere with the baby’s sleep. This means going for something quite. In that case, ultrasonic humidifiers are extremely quite and should let your baby enjoy a night of uninterrupted peaceful sleep. As discussed in the earlier sections of this article, ultrasonic humidifiers come in both warm mist and cool mist version.
Price. It is good to be realistic about budgets. When budgets are tight, it would be prudent to consider an appliance that will give value to your available money.
Tank capacity. Large capacity is good as it ensures the appliance runs for several hours before refilling. If you want a humidifier that will take care of your baby all night long, then you better look for one with large tank capacity.
Best Cool Mist Humidifiers for Babies
Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
Everything you need to increase humidity in your house is included in the cool mist humidifier. This user-friendly appliance features a sleek design that is easily assembled and disassembled for refills. This is done by simply lifting the reservoir of the base. After that remove the reservoir cap, refill and place the filled reservoir back to the base. The tank is large enough with a capacity of 1.5 liters. Even when the levels ran low, you don’t have to worry as the appliance automatically shuts down.
- Night light. This appliance produces a beautiful glow that you can turn on or off as you like.
- Large capacity of 1500 ml.
- The maximum run time for this appliance is 16 hours.
- Rated power is 120v for a power source.
- Has room coverage of 250 square feet
- The moisture output rate is 150ml per hour
- Has a 360-degree mist nozzle.
- You can easily direct the flow of produced mist from where it is not required. This can be great if you want to use it in a room that has other electronics, pets, and even fabrics.
- Automatic shut-off. When water levels are low, the humidifier will automatically shut itself.
- The tank is fragile and can easily break if knocked down.
Urpower Essential Oil Diffuser
This cool-mist humidifier features a sleek design that gives it a great visual appeal. The appliance is great in dispensing oils for health purposes. Due to its small size, the appliance becomes more and easily portable.
- Noise levels are less than 36dB
- Room coverage is 200 square feet
- Rate of moisture production is 35-770 ml per hour
- Uses ultrasonic technology with a frequency of 2.4 MHz
- 200ml capacity
- Has an adjustable mist mode
- Auto shut-off enabled
- It has 7 LED lights which you can switch to.
- Compared to most humidifiers, its capacity of 200 ml may be small
Honeywell HCM350W Germ-Free Cool Mist Humidifier
This cool mist humidifier has a capacity of 1 gallon and can work continuously for 24 hours. It comes with UV technology that kills the bacteria and other pathogens into the water emitting germ-free moisture into the air. The humidifier blows off moisture through a wick filter for removing any impurities out of the water. The water tank is easy to fill and clean. The portable humidifier is easy to carry with its large recessed handle.
- Emit clean and germ-free mist into the air.
- Easy to clean, fill, and carry.
- Small and portable.
- Comes in two colors.
- Wick filter needs to be clean and replaced from time to time.
- No air washer.
Smart Wireless Essential Oil Aromatherapy 400ml Ultrasonic Diffuser and Humidifier
This appliance makes a great visual statement with its calabash like appearance. Aside from its outstanding design, this diffuser is intelligently powered. With a companion application, you can control features like LED color, scheduling, mist intensity among others. Alternatively, you can just use it as a normal humidifier.
- LED light with option to change colors
- Run time of 12 hours
- Wifi compatible
- Has a capacity of 400 ml
- Alexa and Google home compatible. This means you can even use your voice to control the diffuser features like LED color.
- Using the companion app you can schedule the diffuser to work at specific times.
- Has an ultrasonic vaporizer that works by creating 360-degree frequencies that automize water and oil molecule.
- It can be stressing configuring it in-home wifi especially if wifi router runs on a different frequency.
Vicks Filter-Free 1.2 Gallon Cool Mist Humidifier
This appliance has one of the longest run times of 30 hours. A great addition in this cool kist humidifier is the VapoPad slot. This is a scent pad door that allows you to get a soothing vapor experience.
- The capacity of 1.2 gallons.
- Run time of 30 hours
- Room coverage of 100-400 square feet
- No need for constant filter replacement as it is filter-free
- Auto shut-off when water runs low.
- Quiet operation
- The fact that this appliance does not have a filter, unwanted particles can pass through possibly inhibiting its operation.
No products found.
TaoTronics humidifiers come with a massive capacity tank of 4 liters. Despite its relatively large size, this appliance has a quiet operation which won’t disturb your sleep. It has an informative LED light that can be switched to a discreet night light.
- Tank capacity of 4 liters
- Room coverage of 107-322 square feet
- Noise levels of less than 38 dB
- Run time of 12-30 hours
- This humidifier has a quiet operation
- Safe as it has an auto shut-off feature
- Has adjustable humidity levels
- It cannot be used to disperse essential oils.
No products found.
Adorable is another ultrasonic cool mist humidifier from Crane, and even though it has a slightly lower water output, it is still very popular on retail sites like Amazon.com.
With the elephant design, it’s a perfect gift that can help the baby breathe easier, as well as relieve it of cough, cold, and flu symptoms.
It can hold up to four liters of water (one gallon), and work up to 24 hours, effectively humidifying a room of 25 square meters (250 square feet).
Ultrasonic cool mist operation does not require a filter to run; it’s extremely quiet and has an auto-shutoff sensor.