Humidifiers are a great way to get rid of the dryness in your house. Extremely dry weather can cause allergies, eczema, cough, and a lot of discomfort for both adults and children. Humidifiers add moisture into the air of and keep the humidity level balanced in a room. It makes the atmosphere of a room comfortable for you while keeping the allergens and other bacteria in check. No doubt humidifiers are extremely useful but where it should be placed? And what considerations we should keep in mind while placing it?
Where should you place your humidifier?
You should place humidifier where you need it the most. You can put it in a living room, a shared space for all family members. Bedrooms are obviously more appropriate place as the moist air of the room can help you a good night’s sleep. Moisture in the air lubricate the nasal passage and throat, and you can breathe easily while sleeping. Humidifiers are also placed in Children bedrooms and nurseries so basically you can set it anywhere you need. Certain things you should consider while placing humidifiers are:
Size of a Humidifier
Every humidifier is designed for a particular coverage area in square feet. You should buy the humidifier that suits your need, not on its capacity. If you have a small room, then a mini humidifier would do be just fine. A large humidifier in a cubical would instead cause problems, and you may end up with excess moisture. So a humidifier should be sized appropriately for a particular room.
Whether you are using a mist humidifier or an ultrasonic one, you need to place either type of humidifier above the ground level. Keep in mind that the area near humidifier can get damp and slipper which may cause some accidents. The damp area can also create damp, mildew, or bacteria in carpet and floor underneath. It is better to place the humidifier on a table at least two feet above from ground. You can place a towel under the humidifier to protect the furniture from moisture.
A humidity level of a room should be checked before placing a humidifier. A hygrometer is useful for this purpose and gauges the humidity level of the room. If it is below 40%, then you can add some moisture to the air. If the hygrometer shows humidity 50%, then humidifier is not needed as excessive humidity in a room can create mold and other issues in the room.
Placing a Humidifier close to bed
The proximity of a humidifier to the bed depends on many factors.
- If you bought a cool mist humidifier to make you sleep more comfortably then certainly you want to place it near to your bed. Putting a humidifier next to your bed is also a great idea if you want to address the allergens in the room. With a built-in filter, your humidifier should be as close to your bed as possible. You will be inhaling cleaner air.
- A warm mist humidifier can only be near to your bed while you are awake or it has a very stable platform for safety reasons. We all know that warm mist humidifiers make use of boiling water to add the evaporated moisture into the air. It can be dangerous especially if your humidifier is not regulating the humidity level. Excessive humidity will cause the entire room to be moist. You can end up sleeping in damp sheets and covers. Besides the wet area can be a breeding ground for different allergens and bacteria.
- If you are using tap water to fill your tank, then you may notice white dust collecting on furniture. You can feel uncomfortable with white dust collecting on your bed sheet if you have placed the humidifier too close to the bed. It is the mineral deposits from the water that are discharged with the moisture to the room. Using demineralizing tablets can help but the best way to reduce the white dust is by using filtered and distilled water in the humidifier which is not very economical. You may need to clean the humidifier more often as well as vacuum dust around it.
- A humidifier that is not adequately cleaned regularly should not be placed too near the bed. Some humidifiers have filters to clean the air of the room, but even those need to be checked and cleaned on a regular basis. You need to follow the instructions of manufacturers, or the humidifier can be a breeding ground for mildew, mold, bacteria, and other allergens.
- Humidifiers produce sounds. Some are quieter than the others, but even the best ones have some mild mechanical sound. The proximity of humidifier to your bed can be disturbing if your humidifier is producing a little bit of sound. Some people find this noise too disturbing while others may get used to it. The placement of humidifier is also a matter of personal preference, but noisier your humidifier is, farther it should be from your bed.
Placing your humidifier in baby’s room
A humidifier in the baby’s room can help especially if your child is suffering from a cough, cold, or congestion. However, without planning a proper place, you can risk your baby’s comfort and safety.
Warm mist humidifiers are one of the best choices for baby’s room as the warm steam can help your baby breathe comfortably in cold nights. Boiling water will also kill any bacteria or virus in the water. But keep the humidifier on a very safe distance from your baby’s bed. If your child is playing in the room with a humidifier, always keep the humidifier away from arm’s reach. An active child around the humidifier might injure themselves around a humidifier.
If your child has the dust allergy, then the white dust emitting from the humidifier can cause some trouble. So while placing a humidifier into your baby’s room make sure it is not close enough to cover your baby with dust.
Where Humidifier should not be placed
The humidifier should not be placed near vents or from where the air is releasing. Certainly, you don’t want to draw the needed moisture out of the room. Also, make sure humidifier is not anywhere close to where an active child could accidentally overturn it and drop it on themselves.
Humidifiers are useful in dry weather and give relief from many respiratory issues, but their place is essential. You can take maximum benefit out of it by placing it in the right place. Follow the instructions of manufactures and ensure the safety of your loved ones with some timely decisions.