Why should you make your own things when you can easily buy them? Here is a small non-exhaustive list of equally valid and important reasons:
- making a product yourself represents a mean for real savings
- making a product yourself might offer you a more effective and sturdy result compared to the ones you buy (depending on the quality of the used materials)
- reduce waste by reusing old items in your DIY projects
- making a product yourself offers you the chance to protect the environment by choosing biodegradable components
- enjoy a sense of independence
- customize your product according to your taste
DIY Mist Humidifier
In winter the heating is running at full speed and the air of our interior gets dried easily. Dry air means dry skin, cracked lips, allergies, asthma, dry mucous membranes, etc. You can, of course, use an air humidifier that diffuses water into the room. But if you do not have one, we share with you our tips to humidify the air without using any device!
If the humidity is not much different from the ideal rate, the following tips will be of great help:
– Hang small containers filled with water to the radiator. You can use a small ceramic tank (or stainless steel) that clings to the radiator. Add a few drops of essential oils (lavender, thyme) for extra benefits.
– Turn off the hood while cooking.
– Leave the bathroom door open after taking a shower.
– Make sure the temperature does not exceed 20 to 21 ° C.
– Ventilate your house sufficiently.
– Regularly dust the furniture.
– Buy some plants that release water. Placing green plants in your home allows the air to moisten naturally and also brings a touch of inspiring greenery into the home!
How to Make Your Own Humidifier
Homemade humidifiers help relieve problems with dry air. There are different types of humidifiers but most of them create moisture in the air by releasing steam. Something as simple as a hot shower can help increase the humidity in the house and also helps relieve a stuffy nose.
Boiling water can also be a good home humidifier. Boil water in a large pot with the lid closed while heating. After the water boils, carefully take the pot inside the room in which you want to increase the humidity. Place it on a safe surface and open the lid to release the steam.
A sponge can be used as a humidifier for small rooms. Get a plastic bag and punch some holes in it. Wet a big sponge with tap water until dampened. Place the sponge in the bag and place it in the room you want to add moisture too. You can add more sponge bags if you want to increase the humidity.
If you are a crafty person you can try to make a cheap ultrasonic mist maker/fogger for less than 10$ a shown in the video below:
For more DIY tips check out a previous post here.
Budget-friendly, Cheap Humidifiers
This 2nd version follows the steps of the 1st URPOWER model and with the added improvements no wonder it became a bestseller. The price is really great and the benefits very appealing. It is both an essential oil diffuser and a cool mist humidifier with adjustable mist modes and auto-shut off function for extra caution. Add your favorite essential oil and customize your experience with any of the 7 color LED lights.
- 100 ml tank ensures continuous functionality up to 6 hours
- No filters required
- Works with ordinary tap water, plus 2 to 3 drops of essential oil
With a 500ml large capacity, this model can run up to 10 hours on low mist mode setting to provide you all the benefits of the aromatherapy and humidification in a whisper quiet, efficient manner. It is easy to personalize your experience with this versatile gadget.
- Mist button: High mist button: one beep / Low mist button: two beep
- Light button: Choose one color / Cycle through 7 different colors
- Timer setting: 1H/ 3H/ 6H/ Continuous modes
Perfect for small to medium-sized rooms, the AMIR ultrasonic humidifier fills the air with a pleasant fragrance and effectively prevents colds, flu, congestion, dry and cracked skin. It has 3 mist modes, convenient for customized control: Green – intermittent mist (Mist 30 seconds and Pause 30 seconds), Red – continuous mist and Off – You may use it as a color changing light without mist.
- Two working time modes: 3 hours in continuous mode, 6 hours in intermittent mode.
- Auto shut off when water runs low
- 7 color changing led lights
With this model, you can enjoy the full benefits of a mist humidifier wherever you are: at home, at the office, in the car, while traveling, etc. Though compact, it comes with a lifetime guarantee and it is capable of producing a good stream of water mist that will alleviate the consequences of dry air.
- 7 rotating colors
- Versatile plug-in options: with AC/DC and USB cable
- Lifetime guarantee
- Auto turn-off function
- Capable of 3 hours continuous functioning
This 100 ml mist humidifier is simple to use and incredibly versatile. On a full tank, it runs 3 hours in continuous mode and over 6 hours in the intermittent mode (30 seconds on, 30 seconds off). The aroma diffusion function is also a great plus. Quiet and functional, it turns off automatically when it runs out of water for extra safety and it also provides a relaxing night light.
- Tank capacity: 100 ml- it runs 3 hours in continuous mode or over 6 hours in intermittent mode
- Auto shut-off
- It also works as a night-light and allows choosing between 1 color or flip thru multiple colors
- Worry-free 180-days warranty and friendly customer service
As you can see there are plenty of very accessible and functional mist humidifier models. The only downside of these models is that they have a small capacity and can’t provide enough moisture for large rooms, not to mention the whole house.
Regardless you choose to make your own mist humidifier or buy one, it is very important to protect yourself from the effects of dry air: irritated sinuses, dry skin, cracked lips, headaches or difficulties breathing.
In the end, health is our main concern and a mist humidifier can really improve your experience through the cold season.