Humidifiers have become really popular in the last years. They are particularly beneficial for newborns, their fragile respiratory system requiring a constant level of humidity to be able to develop properly and to avoid colds and sinus irritation. In this case, also temperature plays an important role, that is why it is recommended that you also buy a thermometer and a hygrometer to monitor continuously the air temperature and relative humidity in the room. Some air humidifiers incorporate the two items.
Relative humidity in the room should have a value of 50-60% and without a humidifier it goes even below 40% when using heating sources. One of the most important questions when deciding to buy a humidifier is whether to choose a cool or warm mist humidifier.Both have advantages and disadvantages that we are going to discuss in the following post.
Warm Mist Humidifier
Warm mist humidifiers ensure an ideal humidity in the room and they are recommended in preventing and treating colds and flu. They ensure a clean air (no germs and bacteria ) and they are an ideal solution for mold allergy. Their manner of function consists of boiling water and releasing steam in the room. It facilitates breathing in cold rooms and even a certain degree of warmth.
Advantages of Warm Mist Humidifiers
- They are ideal for preventing and treating colds and flu
- Using hot steam, they kill bacteria and eliminate allergens allowing you to enjoy a clean air
- They are the best against mold allergy ( it boils the water can contain bacteria, mold and viruses)
- Helps preserve a high temperature in the room, reducing the use of other sources for heating
- Some humidifiers include a tablet to collect minerals deposited by boiling water
- They are silent
Disadvantages of Warm Mist Humidifiers
- They are more dangerous due to the high temperature they produce (be careful to keep out of reach from children)
- They need more frequent cleaning (hot water encourages bacterial formation)
Cold Mist Humidifier
The cold mist humidifiers provide optimal moisture, ease breathing and helps asthma and allergies treatment. Cold steam humidifiers can be classified into humidifiers that works by evaporation or by using ultrasound. In the case of humidifiers using evaporation- water passes through a fan that releases cold water vapors. Ultrasonic humidifiers use high frequency waves to break the particles of water vapors producing small particles that help us breath better.
Advantages of Cool Mist Humidifiers
- They cool the room and ease breathing- cold air is easier to breathe then hot air
- Compared with hot steam or ultrasound humidifiers, which fit best small rooms, cold mist humidifiers can cover larger areas
- They are recommended for the treatment of asthma and allergies
- It is not a big consumer of electricity
- Some, more versatile, ultrasound humidifiers have both options: cold and warm mist
- It provides more moisture than warm mist humidifiers
- They are easier to clean due to fewer components
- Ultrasound humidifiers are the quietest models
Disadvantages of Cool Mist Humidifiers
- Due to lime and other mineral deposits, this humidifier requires regular treatments and sometimes water filter replacement (usually filter should be replaced every 2 months)
- Ultrasound humidifiers may spray a “white powder” around them, that could go on the furniture and seem like dust- because of the minerals and limestone in the water. This can be fixed by using distilled water or some special tabs.
Choosing a good humidifier can be challenging but once you took the right decision,the advantages are many. It is advisable that you study all the options, you decide for what room size you need the humidifier and what expectations you have from it. Also you should read these tips on how to maintain such a device to get all the benefits.
Use a a hygrometer to measure relative humidity in the room. Many models come with a hygrometer and some have the option to maintain a constant humidity level that you select in advance. It is recommended that you clean your humidifier at least once a week or as outlined in the manufacturer’s instructions. To prevent accumulation of germs and bacteria, you should dry the humidifier between uses and daily change the water in the device. Keep the humidifiers out of children reach, especially the warm mist humidifiers can cause serious injuries. Select the humidifier considering the climate of the area you live in: if it is a dry and warm climate, use a cool mist humidifier; if it is a cold area then it is better to opt for a warm mist humidifier. Additionally, you can choose a model that also uses aromatic oils to offer a soothing , relaxing or quiet sleep . They are made only from 100% natural ingredients and can be used for babies also.
Hopefully, you were able to get to know more about humidifiers and the way they work from this post. Study the market, decide on what models are worthy of your attention, check out what other clients say about their experiences with the models that you prefer and then you can make a great choice.